Poetry attempt Day 3

I'm late with this because today has been a bad day so expect a grumpy poem.  While I enjoy, as I put it, sending words out into the world 'with no makeup on', today this is a real chore.  However, it is also a target I have set myself so in true Brit grit style, although it is hardly equivalent to spending a day on the coal face, I have written something.  You may notice that already, after two days, I have no idea of my own so have gone to the wonderful Jenny Joseph and When I Grow Old for a little inspiration...

When I am an old woman...
I will be dead. 
Therefore I should do all the things I want to do now.
I will have worked until I'm 68, 
But still won't have a pension.
I will have spent my time working where I am unappreciated,
But spent my salary on fun and frolics,
Larks and yums,
And the sort of things that make tedious people say 'why'?
I won't need to answer them because I will be too busy
Flying hawks, 
Baking cakes that defy gravity with their tall stature
Learning to ride side saddle
Trying to avoid breaking my arm ice skating
Rolling down hills with my children
Drinking ridiculously thick milkshakes with any chocolate I please in them
Eating chocolate
Walking in Paris
Building an enormous sandcastle with a flag AND a moat
Shouting loudly in a park and not caring when people stare
Going to the cinema, theatre and galleries at the drop of a hat
Playing tennis and actually hitting the ball
Sitting in a cool coffee shop with my laptop, writing something magical 
And delivering a lamb.

Don't forget the lamb 
Or the chocolate.
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.'

Dream big, Be grateful, Give love, Laugh lots

June days 8 and 9