Poetry day 4


This is the sestina! I haven't written many of these and I'm quite pleased with bits of this although it isn't nearly as clever as the examples I read before trying my own.  Definitely something that needs more practice.

Tricky
Watch him, he’s quick
That thought there, hiding out
Behind your memory,
Something that you can’t quite remember,
You grasp but then he’s gone
Fast and slippery, into the dark.

Look steadily into the dark,
And if your mind is quick
You might catch that one before he’s gone,
Wait for him and catch him out
While you can still remember,
Before he reshakes your memory

You never admired that memory
Until it began to creep into the dark
And then you couldn’t remember,
It all went so unfairly quick,
You tried for a while to figure it out
But by then it had already gone

Your thoughts had packed up and gone,
It played a cruel trick, that memory
Not letting you know in advance that it was going out,
Not telling you it wouldn’t be back before dark,
And you used to be so quick,
Do you remember?

No, you cannot remember
And your tears are all gone,
They did not stop so quick
And are here in my memory,
While our sun left us all in the dark
As all your lights went out.

And now your spirit is out
And I cannot remember,
I don’t want you to be in the dark,
You didn’t want to be gone,
I want more than a memory,
The good bits brown and faded so quick.

You were out of my life before you had gone,
But trying to remember your memory
Makes the dark leave more quick.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.'

Poetry day 6

Blueberry Stormcloud